The Giving Tree Foundation, Inc. is a tax-exempt public charity. Contributions to the organization are tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. We provide receipts for all charitable contributions. Thank you in advance for your support!
How Your Donation Helps
When you donate quality items to The Giving Tree, you support students attending school in Wake Forest (public, private and charter). The proceeds raised through the resale of your donations allows us to provide funding for ongoing educational, enrichment and extracurricular programs. Your donation also supports community recycling efforts and contributes directly to the local economy.
To Donate Quality, Gently-Used Items
Please bring donations to the rear of the shop. There are parking areas on both sides of the store for your convenience.
We accept donations during our regular business hours:
- 10:30am to 5:30pm: Monday through Friday
- 10:30am-4:30pm: Saturday
We love to get your donations, but can only take them if they are clean and dry and in working and usable condition, suitable for immediate resale.
Guidelines of Acceptable Donations
Please review our guidelines below of Acceptable Items. We may not be able to accept some items based on condition or suitability for sale in our store.
- Antiques & Collectibles
- Accessories (scarves, belts, ties, hats, gloves)
- Books – Children’s and Adults
- Craft supplies
- Dishes, glasses, china
- DVD’s (in a storage case) – No videotapes
- Electronics (small – such as ipods, leapfrogs, DS, cameras)
- Furniture (small and medium sized)
- Games (in container, with all parts and pieces)
- Handbags (wallets, backpacks)
- Holiday items
- Jewelry & Watches
- Musical instruments
- Small kitchen appliances
- Sports items (no large sports equipment)
- Uniforms from local schools
- Video/Computer games
Guidelines of Unacceptable Donations
- Clothing – unless we are holding a donation drive for a specific type of specialty clothing item, such as costumes, holiday dresses or coats.
- Recalled items
- Toxic or unsafe goods
- Wet, moldy or mildewed items
- Items that smell of cigarettes or mothballs
- Disassembled items or furniture
- Items in poor condition with broken pieces or parts
- Some Baby Equipment: car seats, booster seats, baths, swings, walkers, potty chairs
- Building materials
- Cleaners, household paints
- Computers, printers, monitors, toner, ink cartridges
- Cosmetics & Toiletries
- Encyclopedias, magazines
- Helmets, life jackets, flotation devices
- Inflatable items
- Large appliances (refrigerators, washers, dryers)
- Large exercise equipment
- Mattresses, futons
- Obscene materials (videos, dvds)
- Stuffed animals
- Televisions (we accept flat screens)
- Weapons of any kind
Our collaboration with Schoola
We are collaborating with a national non-profit, Schoola, for clothing donations. We are not able to take and sell clothing in our store due to space limitations, so we have been looking for other alternatives for our customers who would like to donate high-quality used clothing.
How Schoola Works:
Schoola provides you with a postage-paid bag that you can then fill with kids and women’s clothing. Leave the bag for postal pickup and it will be shipped to Schoola. They then get the clothing and sell it online at www.schoola.com. Your school of choice will get 40% of the proceeds from your donated clothing.
It’s all easy and free! Check it out here at:
How do you feel about no-guilt retail therapy? Come shop with us and know that your purchases support a good cause! Each purchase earns a credit for the participating Wake Forest school of your choice and supports local sustainability efforts by upcycling once-loved home goods. It is a win-win!
We sell donated furniture, china, cookware, glassware, collectibles, artwork, wall decor, linens, cookware, and books. We also have children’s books and toys, as well a selection of new accessories (jewelry, watches and scarves) to complement our existing line of donated merchandise. Providing this new merchandise alongside the used allows us to provide an upgraded customer experience and brings in customers who might not otherwise go to a resale store.
Whether you are a true thrift-shopper looking for “the thrill of the find”, a price-conscious parent managing a budget, a young adult decorating a new home or a DIY shopper looking for items to “fix up” – this is the store for you! Stop by and enjoy our boutique shopping experience with discount prices.
Thank you for considering volunteer opportunities with The Giving Tree! We rely on your help to keep our daily operations running smoothly and appreciate your time. All new volunteers will need to complete the following Volunteer Application. Once we have reviewed your application and you have been accepted as a volunteer, we will setup a volunteer training session for you with one of our regular employees. After you have completed your initial training session, we will work with you on a mutually beneficial volunteer schedule.
It will take us approximately 1 week to review your application and get back in touch about an initial training session.